Oh my, these warm days are some of my absolute favorites! I don’t know about you but when it’s sunny outside and not too hot, the outdoors are calling my name.
Today I went on a run with my little man and it was great. But, it was a bit toasty. My little guy loves to be outside and see all the trees and people that we pass by. We have some great parks and greenways close to where we live. It has been such a long time since I’ve run consistently (because I was pregnant and getting used to being a mommy) that I didn’t think of everything that I should have done to prepare.
Some things for me to remember to do or maybe some things you can do on your next run are:
- Drink plenty of water before you run. Be sure to bring a bottle with you. (One that you can easily drink out of and not have to worry about a lid going missing.)
- Eat a small protein snack before you run just to give your body that extra energy. Ex. Apples or bananas with peanut butter are an inexpensive go to, a protein bar, or energy balls.
- Wear proper running shoes. It truly makes a difference what types of shoes you wear because it will make a difference in your hips, knees, ankles, feet, stride and, really your whole body will thank you. I’ve gone to a shoe store that specializes in fitting shoes to various people and I find them to be great help!
- Warm up. It’s important to warm up your muscles by doing a quick stretch or a light jog to prevent any injuries.
- Cool Down. After your run, be sure to cool down by walking and stretching and drinking plenty of liquids (just not too fast or you may feel sick).